Business Development Director
A team of sales and marketing professionals based in US, UK and China
The role holder is a key member of the Executive Management Team. You will have accountability and leadership for:
- Developing sales strategy, plans and profit targets and leading the Sales team to deliver profitable revenue growth
- Identifying and maximising new markets and sales opportunities
- Developing long term, sustainable relationships with our customers
- Leading the product marketing activities associated with the product portfolio
- Identifying new industrial applications and liaising with development and applications to ensure delivery.
You will have an understanding of strategic issues in our industry and across our customer base.
You will have responsibility for the talent management, succession planning and development of your team.
- Develop and embed the key account management, sales strategy and structure to deliver our business strategy and profit capacity plan. Identify and address opportunities for growth, including new territories and markets.
- Define annual operating plans and budgets for the Sales function.
- Help build, develop and drive product road map and promotional strategy, working closely with the NPI and Marcomms teams to implement and deliver both.
- Gather and act on market data and competitive analysis to ensure an impactful product launch that meets and, where possible, exceeds the target take-up of new products. Use data to steer the product marketing strategy and the wider business strategies.
- Collect, analyse, communicate and drive the “voice of the customer” data to inform product and market strategy. Ensure VOC is continually fed into relevant new product development programmes.
- Champion the product line with expert application and technical know-how: engaging internal and external stakeholders, and promoting the Company within the market as the supplier of choice
- Work with Marcomms to develop communications and collateral designed to strategically energise product interest and subsequent order intake.
- Set the price list (contents and pricing) for the product range, considering our market position and product strategy, taking input from the Operations and Sales functions.
- Adhere to company Health and Safety policy at all times
- To carry out any additional tasks which may be required by the company.
Responsibilities as a Director:
- Coach and engage direct reports and other teams to engender a culture of customer focus, continuous improvement and KPI improvement.
- Work closely with the Executive Team to develop and implement overall strategy for the business.
- Take personal responsibility for your own health and safety and for that of others who will be affected by your actions and behaviour. Actively support our arrangements for health, safety and environmental protection.
Indicative Performance Measures:
- Growth of market share in product segment in line with the Medium Term Plan Sales volume and value
- Delivery of agreed revenue and margin growth targets through the introduction and oversight of new and existing products
- Product profit and profitability
- Sales/cost of sales ratios
- Customer mix
- Quality of relationships with customers
- Budget control.
- First Degree (BSc, MSc or equivalent) in a physical sciences subject, for example physics, inorganic chemistry, materials science.
- Marketing and product management toolset:
Desirable: To be familiar with and able to apply standard marketing models such as 4P+S, product lifecycle, competitive analysis, directional policy matters, Ansoff matrix, etc
Essential: If not already familiar with some or all of the above, to have the capability, motivation and aptitude to learn essential marketing skills.
Desirable: To be fully technically conversant with the NMR technology and its industrial applications. Deep understanding of industrial analytical chemistry application.
Essential: If not familiar with NMR, having experience with analytical chemistry instrumentation and knowledge of AC methods and the industrial markets. To have the capability, motivation and aptitude to delve deeper into NMR methods.
- Communication – communicates effectively on all levels and is open and honest with the teams.
- Teamwork – can manage and build a successful team.
- Cultural Awareness – can interact across cultures effectively to produce results and encourages others to do the same
- Emotional Intelligence – desire to develop oneself
- Engagement – encourages commitment in others to succeed
- Decision-Making – able to make important decisions confidently
- Innovation – can implement creative ways of working to build on the business success
- Customer & Markets – can establish and develop appropriate systems and processes to deliver customer needs